Friday, July 20, 2007

Nikuñja Rahasya Stava

I added this introduction to the Nikuñja Rahasya Stava-text:

I have two major problems with this text. One is that I have growing doubts about its authorship. It is widely attributed to Śrīla Rūpa Gosvāmī,  but is nowhere confirmed as such - it is not a part of the Stavamālā, Jīva Gosvāmī’s collection of all Rūpa Gosvāmī’s stavas and stutis, nor is it mentioned in any authorized register of Rūpa Gosvāmī’s works, nor is the style of composition really his. I strongly suspect this to be the work of a Vṛndāvana resident like Harirām Vyāsa or Hita Harivaṁśa.

Second problem I have with it is its extreme intimacy. Śrīpada Haridās Dās of Haribol Kutir cautions in his ‘Gauḍīya Vaiṣṇava Abhidhāna’:

“This text is meant for those who have lost all desires for material sense enjoyment and who are constantly absorbed in meditation on the siddha deha they have attained by the mercy of the Guru. This should never be touched by those who identify with the material senses.”

Frankly speaking, this could be the prelude of me taking this book out of circulation altogether (especially for the latter issue).


No comments:

Post a Comment